This is it, the first words in this conlang! We'll be starting with some relatively stable words for body parts. I chose to keep these words relatively simple because they will be among the most basic roots in the language.
Speaking of "the language", lets give it a name, shall we?
First, lets create a word for "nomad". I always find taking inspiration from real languages help create believable etymologies. In English, the word nomad comes from the proto-indoeuropean root *nem- "assign, allot; take", referencing how nomadic peoples will travel from place to place "roaming" or "wandering" to find pasturage. I like the idea of using "wander" here, so lets begin there.
I'm imagining these people would have an intimate relationship with craftsmanship, particularly weaving, so lets create a word for weaving, then use that to derive "wander" and then "nomad". I'm going to use one of the nonce words I created on day 3, [fʲa5le], because I like it.
v. Fyale [ˈfʲa5.le]
- to weave
- to wander
- to move around in search of pasture; to live as a nomad
n. Fyale [ˈfʲa5.le]
- wanderer; nomad
Now, I could stop there and just call it Fyale "nomad", but I want to create a few more words to add to it. Next lets create the word for language or "tongue"
v. Munya [ˈmu1.ɲa]
- to speak
n. Munya [ˈmu1.ɲa]
- language
- tongue
And there you go, Fyale Munya "Nomad Speak" is the final name for this language. Woohoo!
Now I'm going to do a lightning round of geography and weather terms.
- rain: Lege [ˈle.kʰe1]
- hill: Natsoo [ˈna5.t͡sʰoː15]
- water: Lau [ˈlau]
- river: Laula [ˈlau5.la] (decided to add diphthongs)
- swamp/marsh: Laubo [lau5.pʰo1]
- lake: Laufi [ˈlau5.fi]
- cloud: Folai [ˈfo1.lai5]
Now flora and fauna.
- dog: Byu [ˈpʲʰu]
- animal: Nya [ɲa1]
- sheep: Henya [ˈxe.ɲa1]
- horse: Gyenya [ˈkʲʰe5.ɲa1]
- tree: Byo [ˈpʲʰo]
- grass: Dalo [ˈtʰa.lo1]
And finally, some basic transitive verbs.
- gather: Fya [fʲa5]
- hunt: Mato [ˈma5.to]
- spread: Pato [ˈpa5.to]
- crush: Husa [xu1.sa5]
- grind: Huto [ˈxu5.to]
- cut: Ku [ku1]
- chop: Ku [ku5]
- bake: Talo [ˈta5.lo1]

Comments
Post a Comment