Skip to main content

Let's Make a Language: Day 6, Adpositions and Possession

Real quick one for today.

Adpositions

I'll start off today by listing out the adpositions we already have in Munya.

  • [kʲon] from [kʲon.pʰa] "to swallow" as the adposition "in"
  • [ŋoː] from [ŋoː.tos1] "to throw" as the adposition "away"
  • and finally [lə] from [lə] "to finish" as the adposition for "at"
Because these adpositions come from verbs, ultimately, they are postpositions that come after the noun they modify. Additionally, using these postpositions forces the noun they modify to take the accusative or dative case. The accusative case for movement and the dative case for static location.

Ni ga laumi laufi so kyon.
[ni kʰa ˈlau5.mi5 ˈlau5fi so kʲon]
1SG.NOM swim lake ACC in
I swim in the lake.
 
Ni ga laumi laufi tyi le.
[ni kʰa ˈlau5.mi5 ˈlau5.fi tʲi1 lə]
1SG.NOM swim lake DAT by
I am at the lake.

These are a good start, but lets make some more, shall we?
  • On, on top of: [xi] from [xi.tʰe] "to ride".
  • Before, in front of: [tʲi5.se] from [seɲe1] "front" and [tʲi5] "by"
  • After, behind of: [tʲi5.pʲʰa5] from [pʲʰa5ko1] "back" and [tʲi5] "by"
  • By, at the side of, during: [tʲi5] from [tʲi5] "to see"
  • Below: [tʲi5fʲe] from [fʲe] "to lie down" and [tʲi5] "by"
  • Across: [pʰal.xi] from [pʰal] "path" and [xi] "on"

Possession

I've decided that for now, it marks possession through a series of suffixes that change depending on the person of the possessor noun.

Tine
[ti1.ne5]
dress-1POSS
My dress.

Time
[ti1.me5]
dress-2POSS
Your dress.

Tito
[ti1.to5]
dress-3POSS
Their/Somebody's dress.

Genitive Case

This system is used in tandem with the genitive case marker [fa1] to express ownership. The genitive of possession marks an argument as owning the following noun, or that the following noun belongs the noun marked in some way.

The genitive can be used in a partitive sense.

Natso ga kaho fa.
[ˈna5.t͡sʰoː15 kʰa ka.xo1 fa1]
hill NOM top GEN
Top of (the) hill.

For inalienable ownership.

Byu ga syo fa.
[ˈpʲʰu kʰa sʲoː15 fa1]
dog NOM paw GEN
(the) dog's paw
.

And others we'll get into later!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Make a Language: Day 1, Setting Goals

 Hot off the heels of my previous conlanging endeavor, Synkatokopa (Kopa), I want to create something brand new. For this project I will be (loosely) following along with Quothalinguist 's "conlang year" series. In that vein, day 1 will be all about intentions and goals. This is the most important part when starting a new project, any project not just a conlang, in my opinion. Setting a good foundation will not only springboard your progress on your journey faster and farther, but it will let you know when it's time to wrap up. So, no matter how excited I am, or you are, to start your own conlang, right now is the moment to ask a few important questions. Question #1 and the most important one, in my opinion, is "why do I want to create this language?". My answer? I want to create another language for a worldbuilding and ttrpg project I've been working on since 2018, one that will slot in next to Kopa. More specifically, I want to create a strictly CV str...

Let's Make a Language: Day 12, How I Make Conscripts/Writing Systems Part I

When creating a conscript I always begin with researching real life scripts. I scan through a large selection of them, figure out how they work, their major visual motifs, and especially how they conform to the language they describe. A good question to ask yourself at this stage is "did the speakers of this language create this script, or did they borrow it?". If they created the script, its graphemes will usually match up really well, or even one to one with its phonemes. This is especially so in more recent scripts. For examples of this, take a look at Hangul or the many new Sub-Saharan writing systems. East Africa in particular is a treasure trove of these kinds of scripts. As a general rule the newer the script, the closer it will adhere to the language it was made for. If they did not create the script, its orthography will probably be more complex than that of the former, and the system will have more difficulty succinctly mapping graphemes to phonemes. English is the ...

Let's Make a Language: Day 14, Numbers, Numbers, Numbers

Happy Valentines day! Today is a super quick one, we're working on numbers some more. Nouns in Munya appear in their singular form when co-occuring with number, so instead of English's "one apple, two apples, three apples..." a Munya speaker would say "one apple, two apple, three apple..." Pa ba, nai ba, tsa ba... Now, what if a Munya speaker wanted to say "the first apple, the second apple, the third apple..."? They would use the superlative suffix -dyi to create a series of ordinal numbers. Padyi ba, naidyi ba, tsadyi ba...  I also want a way to make adverbial numbers like English's "once, twice, thrice...". I decided that a Munya speaker would simply have to put the number into the genitive case to create this distinction. Pa fa, nai fa, tsa fa... Right now a Munya speaker has no way to count above ten, so let's create some compound numbers. All numbers from 11 to 19 will follow the same pattern of "10 by x", for exam...