Demonstrative Pronouns
Welcome back. Today we're going to work on demonstratives. The lexical sources for demonstratives usually come from words like "here" and "there", but since Munya currently does have those words, I've decided that it will use phrases utilizing words I already have that will eventually be whittled down and grammaticalized as demonstratives. I want Munya to have a three way distinction in its demonstratives, proximal, medial, and distal.
The first phrase I chose was [tʲo tʲi5] meaning "by (the) foot" for the proximal demonstrative. This is equivalent to English's "this".
Tyotyi byu.
[ˈtʲo.tʲi5 ˈpʲʰu]
This dog.
The second phrase I came up with was [sʲoː15.lə] meaning "at (the) hand" for the medial demonstrative. This would be equivalent to English "that".
Syo'le byu.
[sʲoː15.lə pʲʰu]
That dog.
The final phrase I chose was [pʰal.xi] meaning "on the path" for the distal demonstrative. This is also the word for "across" in Munya. This would be equivalent to English "that over there" or "that (far)".
Balhi byu.
[pʰal.xi pʲʰu]
That dog over there.
These phrases are pluralized as if they were nouns by adding [nai5] for the dual and [lʲi] for the plural.
The demonstrative modifiers would be identical to these forms.
Personal Pronouns
So far, Munya only has 2 (two) personal pronouns, [ni(la)] the first person nominative and [kau(la)] the third person nominative. I want to keep Munya's personal pronoun inventory quite small, so we really only need one more pronoun for the second person, but, I want to create a formal distinction for each which I'll do by suffixing [la].
And tada! We have a full set of personal pronouns with a formal distinction. Pronouns in Munya will be treated the same way nouns are for pluralization, so we don't need to create plural forms for these.As for possessive pronouns, we already created those on day 6, so no need to worry about those.
Now lets bring them all together.
Ni tyi balhi byu so.
[ni tʲi5 pʰal.xi pʲʰu so]
1SG see that dog ACC
I see that dog over there.
Beautiful, I'm loving the aesthetic so far.
The last thing I want to do today is throw together a set of interrogative pronouns, like the "wh" words in English. Munya has a system of roots already which includes an interrogative particle "xa" which doesn't mean much on its own, so I'll give it the meaning of "what" and create the others from that word.
And there we go.
Join me next time when I'll be tackling indefinite pronouns and modifiers.


Comments
Post a Comment